Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Headaches & Prescriptions

I woke up this morning with a migraine; my guess is that it was caused by a combination of the weather change and the SUPER uncomfortable chairs that we sit in at the bar prep course. I skipped bar prep class today, and instead went to get my migraine medicine refilled (because I must have taken the last pill some time last week).

When I get a headache like this, I wonder if having surgery was pointless. Then I remember how big my arachnoid cyst was and how it was probably causing other problems (i.e. with concentration) and that it could cause even more problems in the future (possible temporary paralysis on one side of my body). I'm glad that I had the surgery, but I feel guilty for spending so much money on the co-pay for the surgery when it didn't cure my headaches. 

On a sidenote: health care reform definitely needs to happen. The co-pay for my migraine meds was $30 for 12 pills. If I didn't have health insurance, my meds would have cost $307.99. That is outrageous. I like the idea of a single-payer health care system because it would take the insurance companies out of the picture, but I am also not so sure that I trust our government (or any government) with running such a system. The government is inefficient and can be corrupt, and businesses (I mean, "non-profit health insurance companies") are greedy and also can be corrupt. I honestly don't know which way is better. The current system definitely isn't working, though, and it is way too expensive. As human beings, we all have a right to affordable health care.  When people argue against universal coverage by saying that it will lead to longer waits to see doctors, I understand where they are coming from, but it offends me on a spiritual and moral level. We currently benefit (by having shorter waits to see doctors) because some of our brothers and sisters are lacking access. 1 Corinthians 12:12-31 is one of my favorite Bible passages and I think that it is somewhat applicable to such an argument against universal coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment