Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Angel Hair Pasta with Tomatoes

I made this recipe for the first time when I lived in Jamaica for a summer. I spent a couple of weeks right outside of Ocho Rios with two Peace Corps Volunteers ("PCVs") , and volunteered at an environmental day camp. It was a lot of fun, and I'm glad that I got to spend some time away from Kingston. Anyway, Jackie (a PCV who was "stationed" in Kingston) and I stayed with one of her friends (also a PCV), and we took turns making dinner. I was not a very good cook back then. I think that my main "specialties" were black beans (from a can) and rice, homemade pico de gallo salsa, and scrambled eggs. I am pretty sure that I didn't know how to cook meat of any sort. When it was my night to make dinner, I was scared. Then I thought of a pasta dish that I once ate at a "fancy" restaurant, and decided that I would attempt to recreate it. Miraculously, I didn't start the PCV's house on fire, and my dinner actually turned out to be pretty good.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 package of angel hair pasta (cooked and drained)
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic (chopped or crushed)
  • 4 hot house tomatoes or 8-10 roma tomatoes (diced)
  • 1-2 TBSP of chopped fresh basil
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
  • olive oil
  • freshly grated parmesan
Directions:
1) Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium heat.
2) Saute garlic for about 1 minute
3) Add tomatoes, basil, salt, & pepper to the pan. Saute for about 5 - 10 minutes.
4) Toss the tomato mixture with the angel hair pasta.
5) Serve with parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment