Monday, May 25, 2009

Crockpot Dried Beans

In an attempt to lower our sodium intake and to save money, I made pinto and black beans in our crockpot. It worked out well. A bag of dried beans costs about $1, and it makes about 3.5 cans worth of beans. That's a good deal :) I made 2 bags worth of black beans and 2 bags worth of pinto beans (on separate days). Then I divided them up into freezer-friendly containers, and froze them.We have the equivalent of 14 cans of beans in our freezer. It wasn't too much work, and it saved us money AND it is also saving our health. We are going to use 3 cans worth this week for our dinners, so we're not hoarding too much food :) 


I followed the recipe exactly when I made the black beans. When I made the pinto beans, I turned the crockpot up to "high" and cooked them for 5 hours. They turned out, and the 5 hour cook time worked better for my schedule that day. 



1 comment:

  1. When you reheat these, you might want to add 1 or 2 TBSP of water; otherwise they are kind of dry.

    ReplyDelete