Saturday, April 4, 2009

KK's Spaghetti Sauce

My stepmom makes really good spaghetti sauce and pesto. She gave me her recipe for both, and on Friday I tried out the spaghetti sauce. I mostly followed her recipe and it turned out really yummy :)

Here is my version of her recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 pound of Italian sausage (browned & drained)
  • 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes.
  • Medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves of crushed garlic
  • 1/4 tsp. of crushed red pepper (she uses 2-3 whole cayenne peppers, but I didn't have any at home, and I was too lazy to run out)
  • 2 bay leaves (remove after cooking)
  • about 2 TBSP. dried basil
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano (she uses 2 TBSP, but oregano isn't my favorite so I cut down on this one)
  • 2 tsp. ground fennel seed (easy to grind up in the Cuisinart or food processor)
  • 1 TBSP. sugar
  • 1 tsp. ground pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup red cooking wine
  • olive oil - 1 or 2 TBSP.
Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in saucepan.
2. Saute onions and peppers for a few minutes.
3. Add garlic and saute for about a minute (be careful because this burns easily)
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer all ingredients until sauce slightly thickens (20-30 minutes).
5. Don't forget to remove the bay leaves (and whole cayenne peppers if you used them).
6. Serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

1 comment: