Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hot Cocoa

I drink a lot of hot chocolate. Unfortunately, I usually drink Swiss Miss. I think it is probably not the "healthiest" hot chocolate ever. So when I ran out of Swiss Miss on grocery day last week, I decided that it was time to try making my own. I know I wanted a recipe that doesn't require milk (in case I don't have any around). I found this recipe and it sounded good.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup cocoa (the recipe calls for Dutch process, but after talking with the lady at Penzeys, I ended up using the "natural cocoa powder" and it was a great choice)
  • 2 and 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk (I got a big box of this for $5 at Cub; I bought the generic brand. The non-generic was $10 for the same size box; ridiculous!)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper (I actually have a measuring spoon for a "pinch" thanks to a wedding gift from a lovely bridesmaid and personal attendant, and it was the perfect amount for this recipe. My guess is that it is between 1/16 and 1/8 of a tsp.)
Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large tupperware container (make sure you have a lid for that container).
2. Put the lid on (tightly - heehee - don't want a disaster) and shake it until the ingredients are mixed evenly.
3. Fill your mug half full with the mixture (I used 1/2 cup).
4. Pour hot water into the mug and then stir to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment