Sunday, March 22, 2009

Berry Breakfast Smoothie

I've been trying to get in the habit of eating more fruit. They also say that blueberries & flax seeds are good "cancer fighters." I don't know if it's true, but I also call this my anti-cancer smoothie :)

This recipe serves 1 person (using a pretty big glass).

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. (more or less) orange juice
  • 1 TBSP of ground flax seed (I buy a bag of flax seed and then grind up about a week's worth in my mini Cuisinart. Then I refrigerate the ground flax seed)
  • 1 banana (peeled & sliced)
  • 1/2 c. yogurt (if you want to be super healthy, use Greek yogurt. But then you will probably want to add some honey to this recipe. Also Greek yogurt is usually $$$, so I just use plain or vanilla yogurt most of the time; gotta stay on a budget)
  • 1/2 c. frozen blueberries
  • 3-5 frozen strawberries
  • MONEY SAVING TIP: I used to buy a bag of "Mixed Frozen Berries" instead of measuring out blueberries & strawberries separately. Then I noticed that I was paying almost $4 for a 12 oz. bag of mixed berries. And a 16 oz. bag of frozen blueberries or strawberries is around $3.25.
Directions:
1) Put ingredients in a blender

2) Blend (on a high speed) until all of the ingredients are mixed together

3) Enjoy!

Other helpful note: Check your teeth after eating this; blueberries like to get stuck between your teeth....

No comments:

Post a Comment