Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Cherry Tomatoes and Mac and Cheese

Well, our cherry tomato plant has been producing tomatoes like crazy. And despite my lack of gardening skills, it is still alive :)

We found a couple of good recipes for using up cherry tomatoes... and we also tried out a new Mac and Cheese recipe.

Chicken Pesto Pizza
  • This was amazing! I loved the way the cherry tomatoes tasted on this pizza.
  • We did things a little differently than the recipe.
  • First, we grilled the chicken the day before.
  • Also, when I made the pesto, I toasted the pine nuts and the garlic in the oven instead of on the stovetop. I knew I would be heating up the oven anyway (to bake the pizza), so it just made things easier. I set the oven to 325 degrees, and then toasted the pine nuts for 5 minutes and the garlic for 7 or 8 minutes. It worked out well.
  • I would also recommend cutting the salt for the pesto in half. I would use 1/4 tsp instead of the 1/2 tsp that the recipe calls for.
  • Finally, we cheated and didn't make our own pizza dough. Maybe we will learn how to make our own this winter... but we had to draw the line somewhere. We typically use the "Thin Crust" (not the "Classic") version of this. Then we just follow the directions on the tube for baking it. Someday we will use our mixer or food processor to make pizza dough, though.
Warm Tortellini and Cherry Tomato Salad
  • Another great recipe, and a great use of our cherry tomatoes.
  • It made A LOT, so we had enough for 4 servings of leftovers.
  • I would consider cutting the asparagus into halves before cooking it, because it was difficult to get it to cook all the way through (especially closer to the ends of the asparagus) in 2 minutes.
  • Here's a link to the recipe.
Mac and Cheese
  • We have a favorite mac and cheese recipe already (if you make this recipe, be sure to not use as much salt as the recipe calls for), but I thought that it would be good to try out a new one.
  • There's not much to say about our new recipe, except that it is really really good, and I will definitely make it again :) I highly recommend trying it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment