Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hiring Freezes

Last week I met with the CEO of my dream job. She told me (which I already knew) that due to the economy they are not even filling open positions right now. It was extremely depressing to hear. She had no solid career advice for me. She was only able to tell me about all of the other employers who are also not hiring. I can only hope that things improve by October when I get my (hopefully positive) bar exam results.

It was very heartbreaking for me, because I have done everything I can to prepare for that career. I took lower paying summer clerkships in that field the past two summers. I volunteered during the school year. Now I am finding out that it might not matter. I'm worried that my resume now looks too "specialized" and as a result it will be hard to land a job in a different practice area. I am disappointed in myself and find myself regretting the decision to sign up for law school; hating myself for it. I can only hope that things will improve and that I will be able to get my dream job, or that someone will hire me and pay me enough to keep up with my student loan payments.

Because we own a house that has now decreased greatly in value (we only have negative equity right now), relocation is not a realistic option.

After seeing the news about yesterday's layoffs, it's hard to imagine that anyone will ever want to hire me when I graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment