Saturday, November 14, 2009

Trinidadian Split Pea Soup

When I was in high school and as a freshman in college, I was a vegetarian. I ended the vegetarianism when I traveled to Cuba for two weeks. It seemed like it would be inappropriate of me to request special meals when people there were living off of rations.

My mom always worried about me getting enough nutrients. When I came home from college for winter break, my mom and I went to the book store, and bought this cookbook. My mom and I chose a recipe together, and then went to buy the ingredients. She wanted me to learn how to cook and eat a healthier vegetarian meal than what I had become accustomed to eating (I didn't really like vegetables back then). She and I made this soup together. I made it a few weeks ago, and it was still as good as I remembered it to be.

Trinidadian Split Pea Soup
from Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian"
Pg. 602-603

Ingredients:
  • 3 TBSP peanut or canola oil (I used peanut oil)
  • 1 "good-sized" onion, peeled and finely chopped (I used my special chopper to quickly chop the onion, celery stalk, garlic, and chile)
  • 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 fresh hot green chile, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (I used dried thyme)
  • 1 TBSP. finely sliced chives (I used green onion)
  • 1 cup coarsely grated peeled carrot
  • 1 cup yellow split peas (picked over, rinsed, drained)
  • 6 cups vegetable stock
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 cup of diced yam (one large yam diced into 3/4 inch pieces)
  • Tabasco sauce, or lime juice and cayenne pepper to season the soup.
Directions:
1) Put the oil in a large pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the onion, celery, garlic, green chile, thyme, and chives. Stir and saute for 5 minutes; a little browning should be encouraged.
2) Add the carrot and continue to stir and fry for another 3 minutes.
3) Add the split peas and stock and bring to a boil.
4) Cover partially, turn the heat down to low, and simmer gently for 1 1/4 hours.
5) Add the yams. Simmer for about 15-20 more minutes; until the yams are soft.
6) When done, taste for salt, adding as much as needed. Also add black pepper to taste.
7) Mix together lime juice and a little bit of dried cayenne. Use this to season the soup at the table. Be careful, because a little cayenne goes a long way. You could also set out Tabasco sauce or another pepper sauce for seasoning the soup at the table.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very unique split pea recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete