Sunday, October 18, 2009

Slow Cooker Cookbook

Last week when I was planning out our meals, I saw this book sitting on our bookshelf. I don't remember buying it, and neither does E.

This week, we tried 3 recipes from it:
  • Pork, Pea, and Spinach Curry Soup
  • Chicken Peanut Stew (we really like a non-slow cooker version of this recipe from this cookbook)
  • Cuban Black Bean Stew
None of the recipes were bad, but they were all pretty average and somewhat bland. When I saw that this cookbook had a 2.5 star review on Amazon.com, I wasn't surprised. Again, the recipes weren't terrible, but they just weren't amazing.

We do really like this cookbook, though. It was one of the first cookbooks that E and I ever used together. Chicken is E's favorite meat, and I think that he borrowed the cookbook from his sister (and forgot to return it). It looks like we can buy it for a penny on Amazon.com now - maybe we should, so we can return "our" copy to E's sister :) Anyway, we've gotten some good use out of that cookbook. These are the recipes in that book that we really like:
  • Indonesian chicken satays
  • Jamaican jerk chicken
  • Nigerian peanut and chicken stew
  • jollof rice
  • stir-fried chicken with greens
  • chicken kabobs
  • chicken with udon noodles
I get most of our recipes online, but sometimes it's nice to use a cookbook. Sometimes I will find myself making a lot of Italian and Tex-Mex recipes, and I forget about all of the other options that are out there. A cookbook allows you to browse without having to type anything into a search engine, so you might find yourself inspired to make something that you weren't originally planning on making.

No comments:

Post a Comment